Thursday, November 30, 2006

Uses & Gratifications

Quick Definitions
- That audiences make choices about how and when they consume media texts.
- Audience is constructed of active individuals, consuming texts for own individual reasons.

Blulmer and Katz:

Diversion
I used to use Dawson's Creek as a programme for escapism as it was just picking up on relevant things at the time. Till this day I still watch friends and think that also allows me to escape from the streesful life I live. I think I use sitcoms and mostly films to help me escape from the harsh world we live in for just a few hours.

Personal Relationships
This should be interesting as I don't know where to begin. But nevermind that. Again similar to the above, alot of the time I find that I subconciously find some link to me and the protagonist suffering on screen. It's a habbit. I think this is because I'm quite a pessimist and only think negative thoughts, so immediately relate, sympathise with whoever's on.

Personal Identity
I don't think I construct my own identity, however wish to have those as cool people on screen. For example, after watching The Godfather, I would wish I would be like Michael Corleone, the don, or Tony Montana from Scarface. Obviously I know I won't act upon these urges, and therefore again can be seen as a form of escapism.

Surveillance
I try and regularly watch the news but never do. In terms of stuff like documentaries then I would have to say I am a big fan. BBC 1's Planet Earth is brilliant, and all the issue related ones on Channel 4 and Five are just as interesting as well as informative. It gives you something to talk about in the morning.


Denis McQuail:

Information
Again similar to surveillance I generally watch documentaries and gather information that way rather then watching the 6 'o' clock news. I rarely do watch the news and only do to find out the weather or if there is something big that's going on. Also I use the Sky Sports News channel to find out updates in the Premiership. The radio also in the background may give me some news updates and I really shouldn't have but stopped buying The Guardian daily, that really kept me to up to date.

Learning
I used to record the GCSE Bitesize programmes if hey were relevant but other than that I don't really gain knowledge from the t.v. The only other source is the internet, where I use google to find out the relevant websites for my research.

Personal Identity
Again like before, i don't apply myself to one specific person in the media. It would be to the characters on screen in films. And I think is done subconciously for the purpose of escaping my dull, boring mundane life.

Integration and Social Interaction
I relate to characters on screen and really put an emphasis on putting myself in their shoes, living their life, being a part of that fictional world portrayed in the film or sitcom or whatever. I don't find it as a major subsititute, where I am aware that I want to watch this film or programme to escape, it just happens when watching it. I do feel that the films seen and programmes watched definately achieves the water-cooler effect, programmes such as Lost and Desperate Housewives and previously Freinds. To some extent Eastenders does but had more effect back in the day. Television also helps to start a conversation in the family household as well.

Entertainment
Films and sitcoms are my form of entertainment. I hardly wtach anything other than Friends, The Simpsons, programmes on Trouble and films. They are the best form of escapism. You identify with characters on screen, you forget about your stressful worries and just enjoy what is infront of you on the screen. I must have seen every episode of freinds at least twice or even three times and don't get sick of it because I lose myself each time I watch an episode. If there is a particular emmotional film, I ain't ashamed to say that i can show my feelings, and if I cry, then I cry. I don't watch tele now to fill time, but becasue I want to watch specific programmes, and work around these times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home